If you’re thinking of owning a goldfish for a pet you’re in for a treat. There are so many varieties of this domesticated fish, all with their own unique physical characteristics. The aesthetic value of a goldfish is something to consider. Below is a summary of what the different types of goldfish look like.
The top 5 types of goldfish
- This is by far the most popular type of goldfish and there is no mistaking its look.
- The common goldfish has bright orange scales and a while tail.
This amazing video is well worth watching; you’ll love this Lionchu!
Lionchu or Lionranchu
- This type of fish is the result of cross breeding a Lionhead and a Ranchu.
- Predominantly white and pale orange in color while its head and body are both very round.
- If you wish to have this fish as a pet, you may have to pre-order as it can be quite hard to come by in some places.
- Black Moor is often mistaken for another type of fish because of its jet black scales.
- There are sub-varieties of the Black Moor goldfish, which are named accordingly by the description of their eyes. Among the sub-varieties include Popeye, Telescope, Demekin (Japan) and Dragon Eye (China).
- As its name suggests, the eyes of this type of goldfish look like large bubbles and are ostentatiously disproportionate to its body size.
- The Bubble Eye does not have a dorsal fin and its body is shaped remarkably like an egg.
- This variety is know for its unusual color pattern which can include blotches of black, red, brown, white & blue
- The body of the Shubunkin is elongated compared to most other types of goldfish and its fins as well as tail are almost as long as its body.
As you can see from this basic short list, there are many types of goldfish that you might want to consider. These 5 are some of the most spectacular.
The main consideration is your lifestyle and which type of goldfish will suit you and/or your family.
There are so many varieties that there’s a pet goldfish for every personality and environment!