Choosing pond liners can be hard. It’s important to be armed with the right information to make the best decision.
If you’re deciding whether to have a concrete floor or use a pond liner, more often than not it’s a safer option to go with a pond liner. They’re not nearly as expensive as having a concrete floor poured in the pond.
As making a decision between a concrete floor and a pond liner will be based on several factors, the size and shape of the pond may narrow the choices for you.
What you need to know
- If the pond is going to be smaller in size then you only need a pond liner
- Make sure that it’s weatherproof. The liner should be made from durable plastic
- One of the important factors you’ll need to consider when calculating the total price for a liner is the need to protect the pond liner from what lies underneath. The area the liner is going to be placed will need preparation which means buying sand and sometimes even carpeting in order to properly protect the pond liner. Any sharp objects such as a rocks can puncture the liner
- You don’t have to worry about the liner not matching the environment as most pond liners are made with natural colors. This will provide a natural environment for the fish to swim. During the hottest months, the fish will enjoy settling in at the bottom of the pond where it’s cooler
- The only disadvantage of having a pond liner is that they’ll need to be watched. You might have to replace them occasionally and they’ll only have a limited guarantee. By taking good care of your pond liner it will last much longer.
Custom Made Pond Liner
You can have a pond liner custom made, however this is a more costly option.
Using a preformed liner is the cheaper option and comes with quite a few advantages. The only real disadvantage is that you’ll need to build your pond to the same dimensions as the preformed liner.
Flexible Pond Liners
Flexible pond liners are also available. They differ from preformed pond liners as they ‘re more flexible. They are used for large ponds. However, they are not the same as having a customized pond liner built for you. They are not as sturdy as preformed type, although they are strong.
- If you’re planning a large pond that will have some depth, then a concrete floor will be the best choice.
- If the pond has an awkward shape and a pond liner will not fit then you might have to choose a concrete floor.