Both fancy goldfish and common goldfish are from the same species of fish. This means they will live happily together in the same fish tank, for the most part.
Caring for a fancy goldfish is basically the same as caring for a common goldfish.
1. Goldfish love to have company
- If possible invest in more than 1 goldfish. Add different varieties of fish to add color and excitement to the fish tank as there are many different types to choose from.
2. The Tank
- When buying goldfish invest in a fish tank large enough to house the number of fish that you’ll be buying. If 2 fish are purchased, a tank that is at least 30 gallons is recommended. The tank will need to be larger if more fish are purchased.
- Keep in mind an extra 10 gallons is needed for every extra fish added. The same space is necessary when caring for fancy or common goldfish.
- This ensures the goldfish have plenty of room to grow and enough space so they won’t be overcrowded.
3. Add gravel, rocks, and plants to the tank
- These all help the fish feel at home and provide hiding spots. Just make sure to clean all items with tap water before putting them in the fish tank. Rocks supply a solid base for your aquatic plants to grow.
4. It’s extremely important to pay regular attention to the water in the fish tank
- A good filtration system is needed, as well as weekly changing of the water. Only a small portion of the water has to be changed. It’s an easy process and can really help keep the fancy goldfish healthy.
- A portion of the water is taken out and clean, room temperature water is added. This procedure is necessary for removing fish waste from the water.
- The waste produces toxins that can be harmful to fish.
- Fancy goldfish are prone to swim bladder disease and great care should be taken to prevent this disease.
- There’s usually no cure for the disease, but feeding the goldfish medicated food, isolating the fish and raising the water temperature are things you can do at home to help problem.
- You can also try the saltwater treatment in a hospital tank. Click on this link to find out how.
Sometimes feeding the goldfish a few peas can also be helpful. For more information on how to prepare vegetables to feed your goldfish click on this link.
If the fish doesn’t get better and still unable to eat, they may not be able to be saved.
Good water quality and proper diet can help keep bladder disease from ever becoming an issue.
last updated November 2018