Getting a goldfish tank ready for goldfish is a relatively easy process. However, there are a few things that need to be considered before making the purchase. Consider how many goldfish are going to be housed in one tank. Goldfish need sufficient space to swim and grow.
In order to keep goldfish healthy, it’s recommended to house only one goldfish in a 10-gallon tank. Once the number of goldfish and size of tank are determined, consider what accessories are going to be included in the tank. Some items are necessary to keep the tank running properly, but other items may be added for decoration.
Items that are essential when setting up a goldfish tank
- An air pump, filtration system, heater, thermometer, gravel, and some kind of stick or chemical tester to test the ammonia and nitrate levels in the water are some of the items a fish tank needs to ensure the health of the goldfish.
- Other items, such as rocks and plastic plants can be purchased to make the tank more decorative and give the goldfish a place to hide. Real aquatic plants are also a good choice, but can be added later if desired.
Step by step guide to setting up your goldfish tank
- Begin setting up the aquarium by finding a spot that will hold the goldfish tank. The tank will be very heavy when filled with water, so it may be necessary to purchase a stand to hold this weight. The area must also be level
- Clean the gravel and place the gravel in the bottom of the tank
- Clean any decorative plants or rocks and add them to the goldfish tank at this time as well
- Hook the filtration system, air pump, and heater to the tank. Begin adding water to the tank
- As the water fills the goldfish tank, make sure everything stays arranged and the tank is still level. Continue to fill the tank if everything’s in place
- Plug in the filter and other items and make sure they are in working order. Leave the items plugged in
- Add a water treatment
- The temperature should reach 65 degrees to 68 degrees before adding any fish to the new tank. When the temperature remains at a steady level slowly add the goldfish to the water